Avoiding Easter Vet Bills

Avoiding Easter Vet Bills

The dangers of Chocolate to your dog!

That wonderful Easter treat, chocolate will be filling your home this coming Easter, and while there are documented health benefits for humans, chocolate is in fact toxic to dogs.

Chocolate toxicity is a commonly encountered in dogs (Humans aren’t the only ones with a sweet tooth!). The reason why it is toxic to dogs and not to humans is because of a component called Theobromine, which is only very slowly metabolised by dogs.

Symptoms are based on the amount of chocolate your dog ate, the type of chocolate (dark, cooking, cocoa powder, cocoa beans, or milk), and the weight of your dog. They vary from mild gastrointestinal signs (vomiting and diarrhoea), to muscle tremors and excitability, to changes to heart rate and pattern, to overheating, to seizures, and in severe cases, coma and death.

Preventing chocolate ingestion is best by placing chocolates out of your dog’s way and letting your children know that chocolate isn’t good for them. Safe ‘chocolate-flavoured’ dog treats can also be brought from your local pet store which can be given to your dog so they don’t miss out.

If your dog has ingested chocolate, please contact your veterinarian immediately for further advice.